There's been a ton odd moments on the boob tube over the years, so I know it's strong words to single out one as the "strangest"; however, compared to this one, all others simply fall short. I am speaking of The Paul Lynde Halloween Special. What makes this one so wonderfully odd? Let me count the ways:
- Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady) does a rendition of "Ol' Black Magic" to a disco beat in such a way that it simply has to be seen to be believed.
- This is the first television performance of KISS; the band does three songs and awkwardly interacts with Lynde - one of the most surreal and off-putting moments in the history of television.
- This was literally the first time that Margaret Hamilton donned the Wicked Witch of the West costume since the Wizard of Oz was filmed.
- Paul Lynde dresses up as a rhinestone trucker and fights Tim Conway over a scantily clad Pinky Tuscadero.
- It features guest appearances by Donnie & Marie, Betty White and Witchipoo from H. R. Pufnstuf... need I go on?
It's now available on DVD, which is great for all of us who saw it when it originally aired and thought maybe it was just a nightmare or some kind of hallucination brought on by lack of sleep. No, it was real, and now we have proof.